The First Few Weeks of School in Virginia
Today’s podcast is all about the first few weeks of school. Since our move to Virginia we have had quite a few changes taking place. We have been able to enjoy the first day of school three times this year, with Mikey in particular. As he left Terra Vista Elementary School and we transitioned him over to Empower School, which was full on, full fledged, deep ABA therapy 7 hours a day. He’d get two therapists and very dedicated coverage. We loved it and he was benefitting very well. The timing was right for Mikey to transition over to a traditional school.
The only thing we missed out on was being able to have our therapists, because we are in another state now. We haven’t had any of the in-home ABA therapy either. Mikey was doing really really well at Empower and it was his time to come out which was great but we still had Anxiety. He didn’t make it three weeks at Terra Vista and we learned about words like “transport” and “calm down room”, what Mikey would do when left in a room or a while, which is chipping paint off the wall. So in came some of these anxieties. But so far we feel that we are doing okay and we owe a lot of that to the therapy that he got when he was at Empower School. So in today’s episode we go over exactly what the first few weeks of school have been like, and what we have learned in the process.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Heather speaks about the challenges she faced when enrolling Mikey in a traditional school and her concerns for Mikey’s safety and him needing redirection to stay on task.
- Learn how great the school has been in trying to get the evaluation and the IEP done before the end of the school year so that Mikey can go into 1st grade with an IEP.
- Find out how Mikey’s supposed first day of school never happened because there was a sub teacher filling in that day.
- Heather tells us how the school had an amazing link full of information on their webpage that tells you more about autism and breaks down the different levels of functioning which is something she never found at any schools in Texas.
- Find out how bussing to school is an added bonus in Virginia that we never had in Texas and how we’ve used it as a motivational tactic for Mikey.
- Hear how Mikey has had to adapt to bussing to school and just like our Poeschl rules we started with bus rules and so Mikey has had some challenges with following the rules.
- Discover what Mikey did to lose his bus riding privileges for two days.
- Find out what happened when we forgot to get the kids at the bus stop.
- Understand why Mikey has rigid behavior but its not always in its rigidity and we have to try figure it out and find the pattern to see what causes it.
- Hear how Mikey has been handling the change of schools really well.
© 2017 Finding Mikey Episode 15
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Autism Speaks Website — https://www.autismspeaks.org
- Finding Mikey Podcast Facebook Page — https://www.facebook.com/FindingMikeyPodcast