The Aspie Superhero Diet and How to Avoid Kryptonite.
Episode 08: Show Notes.
Today on the show I am joined by Heather, and we will be talking all about Mikey’s diet. We unpack exactly what we’ve chosen to put into his body and why we’ve chosen to do these things. With Mikey’s tree nut allergy — basically everything that is not a peanut — we have become that family now; we know what EpiPens are and they have quickly become total lifesavers for us. Heather’s copious amounts of research on how diet affects mood and behaviour really shaped out approach to working with Mikey and adjusting his diet for positive outcomes. Mikey has ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, and Hyper-functioning Autism and with that there is a lot of disruption that happens in his nervous system. So food matters, and it definitely matters for Mikey. Adjusting his diet has helped shape his behavior, and although it takes some commitment and dedication, it is so worth it!
Key points from this episode:
- Diet affects more than you suspect, including immune strength and skin condition. Hear Joy’s story and how a gluten free diet changed her life.
- When you change your child’s diet, it does take a while for the behavior changes to be noticeable.
- For Mikey’s, his specific diet now is gluten free, casein free, limited soy, non-GMO, and food dye free.
- Changing Mikey’s diet helped increase his attention span, his internal motor slowed down, his temper tantrums became a lot less rigid and did not last as long. The biggest, most incredible behaviour change was a decrease in Mikey’s random screams — you know, those ones that can scare the living heck out of you!
- When you put your child on an elimination diet, instead of them feeling deprived, one of the fun things can be looking for alternatives together. For example, picking out organic gummy bears that are food dye free.
- To navigate through those tricky times like Halloween, invent new family traditions. For us we do the Teal Pumpkin Project at our house. After trick-or-treating, they all get to pick out five candies and the rest gets put in the teal pumpkin. The magic pumpkin comes that night and replaces all of the candy with a toy.
- Even though our parenting style has not changed, now that the “gluten fog” is gone, Mikey can respond to the world and those around him in a whole new and different way.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Talk About Curing Autism (TACA) — http://www.tacanow.org/
Teal Pumpkin Project — https://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project#.WG6AiqIrLe0