Labs, Labs, Labs!: Fundamental Lab Testing For Children With Autism.
Today we are diving into the topic of doing fundamental lab testing for your child with autism. After making our big family move and enrolling Mikey in a new public school, we also took on another new adventure. We took Mikey to see a Medical Academy Pediatric Special Needs (MAPS) Doctor, where they do fundamental lab testing and use the information to give you an overall picture of what is happening inside your child’s body. This shows you everything about their the gut health, their digestion, and other indicators that show up in their blood analysis, such as nutrition, food allergies and sensitivities. In today’s episode we go over the step-by-step of getting these tests done, and what we learned from our experience of the entire process.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Understand what a Medical Academy Pediatric Special Needs (MAPS) Doctor is and the work they do with children with autism.
- The types of fundamental lab tests we had done for Mikey, and how they can help give you a clear picture of your child’s health.
- The consultation process, step-by-step, for getting fundamental lab testing done for your child.
- How to be your own “scientist” and doing what is required for the testing phase.
- Understanding how to talk to your child about doing blood tests and working through the experience.
- The contradictions in results from the lab tests, and how we were able to see the bigger picture to treat the right problems.
- Learn more about the differences between food allergies and food sensitives and how they affect behavior.
- How to use activated charcoal and gripe water to help prevent your child from getting an upset stomach when starting new supplement regimes.
- Understanding an imbalance in serotonin levels, and how that affects mood and behaviors within your child.
- The overall benefits of doing lab testing and how that can help you as the parent to make the appropriate changes for your child’s lifestyle.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Generation Rescue — http://www.generationrescue.org/
- Care.com — https://www.care.com
- 23andMe — https://www.23andme.com
- Finding Mikey Podcast Facebook Page — https://www.facebook.com/FindingMikeyPodcast/
- Orange Panda Weighted Blanket — https://www.amazon.com/Therapeutic-Blanket-Deep-Pressure-7lb-Calm-Processing-Syndrome/dp/B06W2LRLV7