It’s been a YEAR – Anniversary Episode
Today’s show is the Anniversary Show and the podcast has been a great way for us to share our journey. We’ve been asking for all of you in the audience to provide some feedback and we’ve gotten it in so many different ways. One area we hadn’t paid attention to in quite a long while has been on our actual reviews page. So we’re giving some shoutouts today.
It’s the anniversary of Mikey’s diagnosis. There is a lot to go through and you’ve been with us for the most part, the highs and the lows, but we figured it would be a good opportunity for us to just wrap it all up. We are talking about what this year has been like, what we have done, what the observations have been and surprisingly, Heather has pages of notes. We are celebrating the wins today, so join in with us as we go through it all with you!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Find out why we actually decided to have Mikey diagnosed.
- Behaviors Mikey was dealing with at the time when we had him diagnosed.
- The positive effects of changing Mikey’s diet and how it may be a good place to start.
- Adding supplements to Mikey’s diet that helped improve overall brain function.
- Helping Mikey’s behavior modification through changing our parenting approach and using strategies that were specifically adapted to him.
- Implementing the token economy system, family house rules, planned ignoring and scheduling and how it has changed the dynamics in our home/family for Mikey.
- The benefits of giving Mikey positive reinforcement to decrease negative attention.
- Learning to plan was a big thing for us for Mikey to feel less anxious and feel more relaxed and enjoy the trips we planned.
- The school journey we went through with Mikey and what he needs and what his goals needs to be by trying to understand his struggles.
- The IEP process: educating yourself and being an advocate for your child.
- Mikey’s love for school fire drills.
- Neuro feedback therapy and we did a behavior log to see whether it’s working for Mikey.
- Some wins we have seen for Mikey over the past year – see below.
- And much more!
Mikey’s Wins Over the Past Year:
- Less random screaming
- Behaviors are less rigid
- More compliance
- Plays with a greater variety of toys
- Less fixated on one thing
- Doing pretend play
- Sharing things
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Talking slower
- Less fixated on watching the same cartoon over and over again
- Expanded his interests
- Less temper tantrums
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Autism Speaks Website — https://www.autismspeaks.org/
Finding Mikey — http://findingmikey.com/
Finding Mikey Podcast Facebook Page — https://www.facebook.com/FindingMikeyPodcast/
Orange Panda Weighted Blankets — https://www.amazon.com/Therapeutic-Blanket-Deep-Pressure-7lb-Calm-Processing-Syndrome/dp/B06W2LRLV7/
Superhero supplementation — http://magneticparenting.clickfunnels.com/optin16077147