Cross-Country road tripping’ with your Aspie / kiddo on the Autism Spectrum
Our trip where we moved across the state PLUS the time at the theme park.
On today’s episode we will be talking about two topics. We will start by talking about our trip where we moved across the nation. We were blessed enough to not only get the job offer but to get some relocation as well and we got our whole house packed up which was awesome. We got movers to come help pack us up, pack everything into a truck and move us here. We had the choice to fly out here or to drive and because it was me, Heather, three kids, two cats, a dog and a bearded dragon, so we chose to drive. We also spent some time at a theme park. There were a couple of things we wanted to do to prepare Mikey before we went into the park. Spending time picking the activities with Heather, looking at pictures online and the physical map are all things that helped Mikey relax and be less anxious about the trip to the theme park.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Hear why we moved across the state to Northern Virginia because I got a new job in sales.
- Find out how we spent 3 long days, 7 hours a day on the road to Virginia with a car full of kids and animals.
- Understand how we learned on the trip to be more engaged with our children and to plan some more entertainment for them.
- Learn how several restaurant and playground stops helps everyone keep their sanity on a road trip.
- Understand how we got back to the Poeschl family rules to remind the kids who we are and we started using the Poeschl bucks system again.
- Discover how our strategy switched to a lot more frequent rewards when the kids demonstrated good behavior.
- Find out how Mikey gets whiney and sad when he goes somewhere he’s never been before so Heather had to prepare him by showing him pictures online of the theme park.
- Learn how Heather found a link of online ABA webinar coaching for parents, the coach helped encourage her to be more consistent.
- Hear how Mikey has regressed since moving to a new place with new people and unfamiliar surroundings.
- Discover why the coach thinks Mikey’s behavior is anxiety based and is a lot about control and how she gave Heather ideas to help alleviate Mikey’s anxiety.
- Find out how reinforcement got Mikey to be compliant with things he usually struggles to be compliant with and it kept him motivated.
- Understand how preparing Mikey for the theme park visit gave him reassurance.
- Learn how I make time to spend time with Mikey doing things he loves to do and just connecting one on one.
- Hear how it’s normal to be frustrated at times and to just know that you’re not alone and you are going to be just fine.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Finding Mikey Podcast Facebook Page — https://www.facebook.com/FindingMikeyPodcast/